The Starbucks S2H Challenge
Based in Seattle Washington, Starbucks Corporation is the largest coffeehouse company in the world. Since expanding rapidly and successfully over the past two decades, the company has focused its current initiatives on deepening its involvement in the health and wellness sector. Starbucks began working with Switch2Health (S2H) in August, 2010 as part of this global health and wellness initiative.
S2H launched the first phase of the Starbucks Challenge - Workplace Walking program in August, 2011 with a few hundred employees. Using a custom-branded Starbucks Green S2H STEP Pedometer, the more the employees walked, the better the rewards they were able to redeem from the Starbucks S2H Challenge Website. These rewards ranged from Tall to Venti achievement badges, to Starbucks branded accessories and apparel. Starbucks' physical rewards helped build brand loyalty within the company, while the achievement badges increased peer-to-peer competition and engagement.
Nine months into the pilot program, Seattle-Based Starbucks employees have teamed up to log over 71 Million Steps, or approximately 35 Thousand Miles. The Challenge helped 55% of Starbucks employees to increase their level of physical activity, and the remaining 45% to maintain their current level of activity. 90.6% of the participants were actively engaged in the program on a weekly basis, and over 80% voted they were likely and very likely to continue participation past the pilot phase. The program's success has not been overlooked, and plans for phase 2 involve offering the Starbucks S2H Challenge to the company's employees throughout the U.S.
The National Grid S2H Challenge
As an international electricity and gas company and one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world, National Grid plays a vital role in providing energy to millions of customers across northeastern U.S. and Great Britain in an efficient, reliable and safe manner. National Grid employs over 27,000 individuals and maintains a commitment to health, energy, and the environment. National Grid teamed up with S2H to create an innovative wellness solution that would engage the company's diverse group of field and office based employees.
National Grid launched the S2H Challenge in February, 2012, encouraging employees to kick-start their new year by adopting healthier habits. Participants upload and track their exercise on the Challenge Platform in exchange for points, social recognition, and gift cards from major retailers.
Stephanie Shepard- Director of Integrated Health, National Grid
During an eleven week period, National Grid employees worked together to achieve over 148 Million Steps, have burned over 11 Million Calories and tracked their weight to lose over 1,400 pounds. The National Grid S2H Challenge's pilot survey concluded that over 80% of participants maintained or increased their level of physical activity as a result of the program, and over 86% of participants were likely or very likely to continue participation beyond the pilot. Also, since the inception of the program, National Grid employees have redeemed rewards resulting in more than 500 trees planted!
The Telx S2H Challenge
Telx offers global interconnectivity and data center solutions to an ecosystem of 1,000+ telecommunications carriers, ISPs, content providers, enterprises and more; and operates a national portfolio of 17 strategically located interconnection and collocation facilities.
In April, 2012 Telx invited employees from locations across the U.S. to Step It Up with the S2H CHALLENGE. Using the S2H STEP linked to the fun and rewarding Telx S2H CHALLENGE Website, employees were offered an exciting new way to improve their Health & Well-Being.
Going forward, Telx employees have an open invitation to join their colleagues in the S2H CHALLENGE - they can track their steps and weight loss, compete for the weekly podium finish and renew their enthusiasm for Health & Wellness with S2H.
Novartis S2H Challenge
A multinational corporation based out of Switzerland, Novartis AG, manufactures pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare products.
In September 2012, Novartis De Colombia invited hundreds of employees to kick-start a healthy lifestyle with the S2H Challenge in what is the first Spanish language implementation of the platform. According to the Pre-Challenge Health Survey, 93% of registered employees are currently participating with the Novartis S2H Challenge to improve their health and well-being.